Canadian Firearms Safety Course AnswersRead more
Perfect Christmas Gift Ideas to Complete Anyone's Wish List in 2020
Everyone knows that the best holiday gifts are simply to be around family and friends and creating lasting memories. That still doesn’t stop us from trying to find the perfect gift for your loved ones (or perhaps spoiling yourself). With Christmas around the corner, we wanted to reduce the stress of finding that perfect something by providing some suggestions from our staff and industry friends.
As a training company, it’s hard for us not to recommend the gift of knowledge. The education and certification experience will literally change lives and provide a lifetime of enjoyment. The Silvercore Club will provide the recipient with industry discounts, North America wide insurance and meet RCMP requirements for RPAL issuance and renewal. Finally Silvercore swag makes for a fantastic stocking stuffer.
Silvercore has Gift Certificates and other swag which are perfect for those requiring training, or looking for new apparel stickers or otherwise, here are some Silvercore recommendations you won't want to pass up!
- Darn Tough Socks – Travis says these are the absolute best socks around; believe us, we’ve heard him talk around the office about these many times!
- Yeti Rambler – Keeps your coffee hot for hours; we know, we have these too and they’re simply amazing, and it’s good for keeping things cold too- bonus.
- Morakniv – This knife is extremely affordable and a true quality knife for the pack or your truck .
- Spyderco Para Military Folding Knife – Great quality EDC (everyday carry) knife that you can purchase without breaking the bank.
- Tactical leg pack – This is great for holding ammo, ID, and other essentials when waterfowl hunting (though you can probably use it for other occasions as well)
- Swatcom Hearing Protection – Travis is always wear hearing protection hunting or while on the range. These can also be used with communication devices if desired. Best part is, if you are a Silvercore Club member, you get 10% off your purchase! Check your member benefits after logging in to get the coupon code.
- Earplugs – As someone who values their hearing, Travis says that he always has these with him. Whether he’s on an indoor range or shooting very loud firearms in the great outdoors, he’ll use these in addition to the above hearing protection
- Carbon Steel Frying Pan. This pan is lighter in weight than cast iron, heats up evenly, quickly and is fantastic for searing game meat over the fire. Perfect for using at home or when you are out hunting or camping. De Buyer and Mauviel are Tiffany’s favourite brands. Any good cooking store carries these pans. Don’t believe me, read the review done by the Kitchn.
- Fäviken: 4015 days, Beginning to End cookbook. Magnus Nilsson is one of the greatest chefs and Fäviken was one of the worlds best restaurants. Wild, foraged and respectfully prepared Nordic food. Yes, I want to spend my Christmas break reading this book by a roaring fire.
- Hornady’s ELD-X in 6.5 Creedmoor. Sells out every hunting season, so I always stock up to make sure I’m not left out in the cold come spring time. You can order this ammunition at Reliable Gun as well as Stillwater Sports.
- Opinel Mushroom knife – cheap, easy to use and works damn well. There’s a reason these knifes are hugely popular.
- Kuiu Northstar Glomitt – it’s gets really cold when you are sitting still for hours, glassing for game in the late fall. I plan to keep my hands nice and toasty with these half glove/half mitts. Perfect combination of dexterity and warmth.
- Klymit Versa Blanket – lightweight and great for keeping warm when out in the BC backcountry or just on your own back patio. Klymit is also Silvercore Club partner so our members get everything on the site 35% off! Check your member benefits after logging in to get the coupon code.
- Last but definitely not least, consider a donation to one of the amazing groups working hard to conserve the wildlife and/or wilderness we love so much in BC. My top picks would be Wild Sheep Society of BC, BC Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and Wild Steelhead Society of BC. All of these groups currently are doing online auctions, so it’s an awesome way to support them and possibly end up with a great prize!
April Vokey of Anchored Outdoors is super passionate about fishing, foraging, hunting and homesteading and has built an online community that you can become a member of. We highly recommend that you check out her plethora online courses which you can purchase for yourself, or someone else this holiday season. If you haven’t had a chance to listen to April speak on her experiences in the industry, check out Episode 32 of the Silvercore Podcast.
Here are some of April’s favourite things that she feels would make a fantastic gift:
- Anova Precision Cooker
- Lighthouse Lantern
- Crush Light Chroma
- Ocean Scout TK
- Water Master Kodiak Raft
- Fishing Rod Racks
- The Whole Fish Cookbook
Reliable Gun is celebrating their 70th year anniversary and is a family owned business. Silvercore has been referring it’s students and club members to Reliable for over 20 years because of their terrific customer service and quality products!
We had the amazing opportunity to sit with Shane Mathieson, who is a third generation owner, durning Episode 22 of The Silvercore Podcast to discuss how Reliable Gun got it’s start as well as the OIC Canadian Firearms Ban.
Shane has already put together his Christmas wish list and we agree, you’ll definitely want to take a look at these for a gift.
- Alaska Guide Creations Binocular Harness
- Scout daypack
- Benchmade Osborne knife
- Leupold 3.5-10 Rifle Scope
- Browning X-bolt Micro Midas in 243 – Shane say’s he’s getting this firearm for his son; great choice!
Situated in the great lil’ town of Ladner is Stillwater Sports. Stillwater has a vast amount of fantastic equipment whether you plan to go duck hunting near by, crabbing, fishing, or maybe you just need some more ammo or a new accessory for your firearm. No matter what your needs are, Stillwater is a great place to visit.
When not working at Stillwater, Jens Cuthbert spends nearly all his free time hunting and fishing and you can follow his exploits on social media under the name #604backwoods. Jens was on Episode 11 of The Silvercore Podcast to talk about his experiences hunting, hunter ethics and some insider tips on how to be a hunter in todays urban society.
Jens has these as his top wish list items this year:
- Divebomb S3HL snow decoys for easy set up and take down and you can never have enough decoys.
- Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 with a tungsten finish! You gotta look good while duck hunting.
- Outdoor Edge Razor Blade knife with replacement blades. No one likes a dull knife when they got birds to harvest.
- Flat of 2 3/4 #2, #4, #6 steel to replace the dwindling stock! – Great suggestion Jens, you can never ever have too much ammo.
Poco Military is a local, family owned gun store, but they don’t just sell firearms. They have lots to choose from, ranging from clothing, tactical and duty gear, airguns, paintball, knives, bags, outdoor gear, the list goes on. If you’re looking for options, check out their store located in Langley BC.
Our friend Paul Baker over at Poco Military, reached out to tell us what he would like for Christmas, and it’s a good one.
- A Browning BLR White Gold Medallion Maple stock in either 308 or 7mm-08… Because this firearm was special production, it’s very hard to find.