Bear & Wildlife Defence (BR1)This one-day, live fire course is a must for the professional working in bear territory or for any outdoor enthusiast wishing to learn how to minimize the chance of a predatory animal attack.
This is a one-day, on-range bear defence shotgun course geared towards any outdoorsman/woman travelling through bear country. Silvercore has partnered with James Gary Shelton in the design of this wildlife defence program. Shelton's bestselling books have become the authoritative text on bear behaviour and how to survive a bear attack. His works are essential reading for those who work in parks, forestry or anyone who plans to venture into the wild on a recreational basis. Safety is paramount; all of our instruction is done by federally certified firearms instructors and our instructor-to-student ratio exceeds government standards.
Please note that neither firearm rentals nor ammunition are provided for this live fire course. Students are required to bring their own equipment.
- Receive a Bear Defence Certificate of Completion upon successful completion of this course.
- Increase your chances for success, and get the most out of your education, with support from the Silvercore Podcast and Blog Posts.
- Many students take the Online Bear & Wildlife Defence Course in conjunction with their in-person course to compliment their overall training.
- An in-depth look at bear protection devices
- Bear behaviour and communication
- Bear and bear sign identification
- Wildlife avoidance and encounter strategies
- Firearm and ammunition familiarization and selection
- Practical firearm training
- 12 gauge shotgun, pump action recommended
- 2 point sling (required)
- 100 rounds of 7 1/2 Bird Shot
- 10 rounds of 00 Buck Shot
- 25 rounds of slugs
- Waterproof paper and pencil for taking notes
- Weather-appropriate clothing (dress for the weather on an outdoor range)
- Wraparound shooting glasses, ball cap and hearing protection
- Clothing: Shirt should be form fitting at torso and cuffs as to not snag the equipment.
- No loose collars as stray brass can get stuck down your shirt
- Long pants, allowing easy movement
- Closed toe shoes that allow rapid moving and turning
- Food, snack and drinks - lunch is not provided
- A valid Restricted PAL # must be provided when registering (Exceptions may be made for active Law Enforcement Officers, please contact our office for details)